110th City & Guilds College Association
The 110th City & Guilds College Association Annual Dinner will be held on Friday, 1st March 2024 at Stationers’ Hall.
The drinks reception starts at 18:45, carriages at 22:30
The CGCA Annual Dinner 2020 at Stationers’ Hall
Our guest speaker is Professor Hugh Brady, MD PhD FRCPI MRIA, President of Imperial College.
Prior to his appointment as President in August 2022, Hugh served as Vice-Chancellor and President of the University of Bristol from 2015 to 2022, and President of University College Dublin (UCD) from 2004 to 2013.
A graduate of UCD, Professor Brady trained in general medicine and nephrology, and was awarded PhD and MD degrees for research in renal physiology and molecular medicine, respectively. His academic career as a physician-scientist included positions at Harvard Medical School, the University of Toronto and UCD. He is an international authority on the pathogenesis of renal inflammation and diabetic kidney disease.
Professor Brady is a recipient of an Honorary Doctorate of Science from the Queen’s University Belfast, an Honorary Fellowship from the Royal College of Anaesthetists in Ireland, and the Robert Menzies Medal from the University of Melbourne.
Copyright, Stationers’ and their Hall
(The following text is copyright of The Stationers’ Company)
600 years ago, the manuscript writers and illuminators of London decided to concentrate their efforts and set up stalls or ‘stations’ around St Paul’s Cathedral. Because of this, they were given the nickname ‘Stationers’ and this was the obvious choice of name for the guild they established in 1403 when the Mayor and Aldermen of the City of London approved the formation of a fraternity or Guild of Stationers (booksellers who copied and sold manuscript books and writing materials and limners who decorated and illustrated them). By the early 16th century printers had joined the Stationers' Company and by the mid-century had more or less ousted the manuscript trade. In 1557 the Guild received its Royal Charter and they became a livery company, numbered 47 in precedence.
The Charter gave the Company the right to search for and seize illicit or pirated works. All new titles were entered into a series of 'entry books of copies' which became known as the Stationers' Company Registers. Company ordinances of 1562 provided that members had to both obtain from the Wardens a licence to print any work not protected by Royal Grant and enter that licence in the Company’s register. The Stationers’ Register became the written record to which disputes regarding the ownership of copy could be referred. Succeeding copyright legislation confirmed Stationers’ Hall as the place where the right to copy should be entered. Compulsory registration finally terminated in 1923.
In 1606, the Stationers purchased Abergavenny House on the site of the present Hall. During the early days of September 1666 the Great Fire destroyed the major part of the City of London and Abergavenny House was burned to the ground. Work on the present Hall began in 1670 and by 1673 it was ready for use. Additions took place at the end of the 18th century, including the magnificent stained glass windows in the Livery Hall.
For help on getting to Stationers’ Hall and the facilities/access guide for the less-abled please see: