About the CGCA
Established in 1897
The City & Guilds College Association was established as long ago as 1897, pre-dating the foundation of Imperial College, London by 10 years. The Association, however, only adopted this name in 1992, having been called Old Centralians for most of its earlier history.
Ever since the founding professors of the Central Institution became the ‘founding fathers’ of the Association, we have maintained a service to our membership and fostered links with the City & Guilds College Union, the City & Guilds of London Institute and Imperial College.
Still the largest of the constituent college associations, with a membership of over 4,000, the Association continues to flourish within Imperial’s new faculty-based framework.
Members of the Association may be found in all parts of the world, engaged in all aspects of engineering, design, consultancy, manufacturing and education, also in government, finance, commerce, and related professional activities.
We welcome members from all the departments that form the Faculty of Engineering, and also the Business School. The Association acknowledges, however, the long-standing relationship between the Royal School of Mines Association and the Departments of Materials and Earth Science and Engineering. CGCA and RSMA continue to explore ways of working more closely together in support of the Faculty of Engineering, but with both associations retaining their independence.
City & Guilds
The former City & Guilds College, as a premier school of Engineering and Management, owes its origins to the foresight of the City Livery Companies, sixteen of whom, with the Corporation of London, formed in 1878 the 'City & Guilds of London Institute for the Advancement of Technical Education'. The Institute almost immediately set up the Finsbury Technical College for the provision of technical education, and shortly afterwards the 'Central Institution', at South Kensington, as a place of advanced technical education. It was the latter which became firstly the Central Technical College, and then in 1907 the City & Guilds College, a 'constituent college' forming part of the new Imperial College of Science & Technology.
Throughout the life of City & Guilds College, close links have been maintained with the Institute. Although City & Guilds was for much of its life governed through Imperial College, there has always been Institute representation on the Imperial College governing body. The Institute continues to award the Diploma of Associateship of the City & Guilds of London Institute (ACGI), first awarded to students of the Central Institution who joined the earliest 3-year full-time courses which started in February 1885.