About the CGCA
The Association currently maintains corporate membership of the New Cavendish Club, located in elegant and recently refurbished premises close to Marble Arch and Oxford Street. CGCA members are welcome to make use of the facilities of the club upon proof of Association membership.
The Club's contact details are as follows:
The facilities include a bar and coffee lounge which provide an excellent meeting place for members and their guests. Snack luncheons and afternoon teas are served in the ground floor area. Nearby are a library, drawing room and separate writing room. On the first floor is the spacious dining room which is open for lunch and dinner every day except Sunday. It has an annexe suitable for private parties and functions. There is a comprehensive wine list.
There are thirty-four comfortable bedrooms, most with bath or shower en suite. All rooms have their own television and telephone together with tea and coffee making facilities. Two well-appointed suites, comprising double and single bedrooms, en suite bathroom, as well as a sitting room, are also available. A self-contained mews cottage to the rear of the building is ideal for family accommodation. In addition there are a number of attractive private rooms of various sizes ideal for company meetings requiring conference facilities, wedding receptions, anniversary dinners and other occasions. A roof garden is ideal for summer cocktail parties. A complete range of banqueting services is available. Enquiries are welcomed by the Club Manager.
The Club has a tradition of quiet elegance and comfort enhanced by welcoming and responsive service. Over the years this special quality has drawn many long-standing members to the Club which has its roots in voluntary service. The Club was created in 1920 by Lady Ampthill to provide a meeting place for women who had served with Voluntary Aid Detachments. This organisation was started during the Great War to provide ancillary nursing services in military hospitals, with those who joined performing such tasks as driving ambulances, running canteens and undertaking general war duties. The VAD Ladies’ Club was established in Cavendish Square with an initial membership of two thousand five hundred. When it moved to Great Cumberland Place in 1959, its name changed to The New Cavendish Club and its membership has expanded.
Members can receive a bi-annual newsletter by arrangement with the CGCA office.
Please click on any of the images below to view an enlarged version.